Re: Moto X Porting

Thank for this. Like you mentioned though, I look for unlocked devices as I assume this facilitates trouble-free ubuntu. I've assumed this all along and so if the device is not unlocked I write it off. And it has proven difficult to find unlocked devices that are smaller in size. Looking at Google Play Devices seems to be the only place to look.

If Ubuntu Edge is unsuccessful, it would sure be nice to get the Edge's physical design even if it can not do convergence. I value congergence; however, I also appreciate having a smaller, lighter device for easy mobility. ***Just to have a phone that I can USB into Ubuntu with and have it be seen a mass storage device would be a big step forward in mobile phone tech--even if it isn't capable of being a Desktop.

Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:03:13 -0500
Subject: RE: [Ubuntu-phone] Moto X Porting
From: coder543@xxxxxxxxx
To: mttbrnsmls@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Motorola Droid Mini will be an excellent piece of hardware when it becomes available for purchase, and is about the size of an iPhone and manages to cram a bigger screen into that same size body. Whether it is locked or unlocked will determine how easy it is to run Ubuntu touch on it. The HTC One mini is another option, but I wasn't impressed by reports about its battery life. The Samsung Galaxy S4 mini is there as an option, but I can't bring myself to recommend Samsung anything. Most of the smaller options are budget phones that aren't very good. Motorola is one of the only exceptions to this, which is respectable. The HTC First, if you can still get one, was a fantastic piece of hardware once you turned off Facebook Home. The device felt kinda like an iPhone in the hand, ran smoothly, and had an extremely comfortable design in general.