Re: "Can I use the internet?"

Hiya,

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 11:05:06AM -0400, Tony Espy wrote:
> […]
> As for automatic "time" updates, besides NITZ, the two mechanisms I'm
> aware of are GPS, and NTP, the latter being the only requiring a "data"
> connection.

Yes, I understood that NTP was the motivation for that requirement (and
think it's probably a good idea to use that if we can).

> Finally, I'd like my phone to just do this stuff for me automatically,
> however in the case where my phone is "offline", do I really need the
> "Time & Date" settings page to tell me?  In general my phone is offline
> when I tell it to be ( eg. "airplane mode" ), or when I'm away from home
> and my phone is roaming ( and "data while roaming" is disabled ).
> In these cases, I may choose manually override the time zone, or leave
> it as is ( again like when I'm on an airplane ).  I rarely say, "Oh my
> phone is offline, I need to do something about that...".
>
> I honestly think that this portion of the page is of lower priority than
> the actual time zone/time update mechanisms, which as described above
> are a bit of a mess.  This is the reason we've started to investigate
> 'timed' as a backend.  You asked what does the API look like to access
> 'timed', and this is where I say we need someone from the SDK team to
> address this.

OK, I can get on board with that assuming that design can agree (maybe
at least for V1 anwyay). So, assuming that, all I'll need to know for
this panel is how to toggle the platform between automatic/manual
updating of both the time and timezone. Will that be API provided by
timed or some other component, do you know?

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]