Re: Ubuntu Edge (the Ubuntu handset)

Yes. Shuttleworth has even said that the *entire* purpose of this campaign
is to judge if there's a market for *super high end* phones. Adding a mid
range phone just to make this campaign succeed does not measure the market
appeal of the superphones, and it doesn't make manufacturing those
superphones any more affordable (quantity is important, if you can't meet
the quantity, the price is prohibitive).

If it succeeds, there will be more of these campaigns. If it fails... there
will probably never be another from Canonical.

Look at it as motivation to convince your friends to each buy one. This *
needs* to succeed, but adding a lower end phone is neither helpful nor an
option. The manufacturing costs would be absurd.