Re: How to enter PIN

There was an article about iOS storing the pin on the phone at heise.de.
There it was mentioned that it is (somehow) specified that a device isn't allowed to store the pin anywhere but the sim-card.

The article (German):
http://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Forscher-kritisieren-PIN-Speicherpraxis-des-iPhone-1643953.html

Am 06.08.2013 16:15, schrieb Tony Espy:
On 08/06/2013 10:05 AM, Michał Sawicz wrote:
On 06.08.2013 15:28, Tony Espy wrote:
AFAIK, this was being done as part of the lock screen, as it's a
one-time "enter-at-boot" requirement.  Adding this as an indicator
function doesn't really make any sense.

Except when you swap SIMs while your phone is on.

Hot-swapping SIMs is *not* supported for a variety of reasons.

And anyay the "device
passcode" entry needs to be very different (visually, too) from SIM PIN
entry, so that you don't mistake one for the other (and lock yourself
out / lock the SIM in the process).

I'm not a designer, so I will abstain from arguing this point.  That
said, there was a comprehensive design done for the lock screen which I
believe took this into consideration.

On Android, a small SIM icon is shown on the lock screen at boot in
addition to text that explains that a "SIM PIN" is required.

I'm in favour of just treating the SIM PIN as any other credential and
store it in the keyring, if the user so desired (only if the account is
protected by a passcode / passphrase). Not sure that would be OK from
the operators' standpoint, though.

I'm not sure the operator's care...

Android prompts for the SIM PIN before allowing the phone to be unlocked.

Has anyone looked at how iOS deals with SIM PINs?

Regards,
/tony

--
kind regards