Re: Ubuntu Edge (the Ubuntu handset)

I think ubuntu's marketing people are targeting the wrong segment. Yes, ubuntu edge seems to be innovative, but it's not enough for the high end market. With poor branding in mobile and pc desktop market, normal high end people would not notice the highlight of ubuntu edge, except for us, the ubuntu touch fans.
But convergence pc should be very attractive to those without pc/laptop but looking forward to enjoy the fun of pc. So ubuntu's marketing segment should shift to the young people without pc. China is a good place to start, just like Jolla/Sailfish.

From:  "Ruald Andreae"<ruald.a@xxxxxxxxx>;
Date:  Aug 7, 2013
To:  "Oliver Grawert"<ogra@xxxxxxxxxx>;
Cc:  "Ubuntu Touch"<ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Subject:  Re: [Ubuntu-phone] Ubuntu Edge (the Ubuntu handset)

I agree that the merch will cost money and maybe I am being a bit optimistic on how many would get sold for what price. But I personally think the cost of the merch is minimal when you have reached the final $32mill goal and it's something that Canonical can fund. Maybe I am being idealistic but I feel that *some* of the options should have been considered and the marketing approached from a different angle and more agressively. Canonical could have done more and what they have done so far was too little too late.

Either way I wish the project my best, I want it to happen and have done everything I can do make it happen.

Lets see how it goes.