Re: Running background services

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Michael Zanetti
<michael.zanetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 August 2013 09:31:31 Daniel Holbach wrote:
>> Hello,

>> > Does that mean I will have an Ubuntu Edge phone with 4GB of RAM, 8 CPU
>> > cores and cannot do multitasking on it?
>>
>> I don't think anyone specified the phone to have 8 CPU cores - where did
>> you read that?
>
> Nowhere... I think you get my point...
>
>> How is "app authors can write daemons" = multitasking?
>
> How does this relate? Thomas said there will be no running apps in the
> background / minimzed apps, which to me means there will be no multitasking.

We have had this conversation multiple times in the past, and version
1 of our application lifecycle will not allow to run arbitrary
applications in the background. Instead, we will provide selected
services to hand over to the system for certain tasks, e.g.,
downloads, alarms, music playback. Please note that this is a policy
targetted towards the "mobile phone" usage scenario and swapping
policies at runtime when transitioning to different usage scenarios is
one of the primary goals of the lifecycle architecture.

Version 2 of the lifecycle will then allow applications to run their
own background tasks, UI less, with restrictions on
CPU/Memory/resources in general.

Thomas