Tab widget design

Hey there,

It was already my intention to get in touch about this to see what's
the general feeling, and after seeing Michael Hall's post about the
use of the tab widget for indicators as well (http://goo.gl/yJP7Ns),
this sounds like a good timing.

After experimenting with the phone interface for the last few days,
the swiping-tabs interface stands out as being perhaps the only
component that is somewhat awkward to use. The widget hides the full
list of options in the tab behind reasonable thumb-exercising, at a
position which is not comfortable to reach, let alone swiping
repeatedly. Then, if you don't actually select anything because you
didn't find what was being searched for, the widget remains in that
misaligned position.

I won't provide any suggestions as we have some fantastic people
taking care of it, but just in terms of being a user of it, it would
be nice to have something that uses more of the screen state to
display what are the possible options, and so that we can reach them
with less swiping, in a lower screen position.

Is it just me, or is that a shared feeling?

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

Follow ups