Re: The Nexus 4 coma condition

On 08/19/2013 08:02 AM, John McAleely wrote:
> On 13/08/13 12:12, John McAleely wrote:
>> On 13/08/13 11:32, Michael Zanetti wrote:
>>> I think it's worth mentioning that you need to use the original wall
>>> charger
>> I've tried two different original chargers (One new from Google Play,
>> and one from a colleague who had it supplied with a handset), and many
>> variations of 'plug in, hold down power button (10 sec, 60 sec, longer),
>> and power plus volume up and/or down), and even just leaving it. With
>> and without a SIM installed.
>>
>> It would seem my phone will not take charge at all. Has anyone else seen
>> this?
>
> Following up, I was about to declare this phone dead, when I tried
> plugging it in to another colleagues wall charger 'one last time'. Lo,
> there was a small red light, and eventually full recovery.
>
> Examining the two chargers, the one which could recover from dead has
> model number MCS-01UR, and the one which couldn't had model number
> MCS-01UT.
>
> Both are UK model wall chargers, so I think this information will have
> a limited applicability.
>
> I speculate that LG have (at least) two different suppliers for these
> devices and/or a spec that has evolved with time.
>
> I don't have data for when both these devices were bought, although
> the MCS-01UT was bought from the play store last week.
>
> tl:dr: You need an original wall charger, and there are multiple
> models of these. Try different ones until you get one that can raise
> your N4 from its coma.

Can you check the output  specs for the chargers? This seems to vary
quite a bit. The Nexus 4 charger I have does 5V at 0.7A, the Nexus 10
charger does 2A. Would not be surprised if this makes a difference.

Also wanted to warn folks that if you leave the phone plugged into USB,
then the adb wakelock will keep the unit from suspending. This can be
true even if the laptop its connected to is off. Good way to drain the
battery.

Pat