Re: Ubuntu Touch Audio stack for 13.10 release

Hello David,

On 27.08.2013 14:14, David Henningsson wrote:
>  == For porters: if you need to do the same ==
>
> Unfortunately, this means some additional work for porters, because you
> need to write UCM mixer files. What's worse, UCM is lacking good
> documentation. For that reason, I hesitated somewhat before deciding to
> actually use UCM at all, but it's the closest we have to a standard for
> setting up mixers on embedded devices right now.
>
> But to give you a two-minute crash course in UCM and how it's used in
> Ubuntu Touch - start by having a look in
> /usr/share/alsa/ucm/apq8064-tabla-snd-card/ directory (shipped with
> alsa-lib). You'll need to create a similar directory for your device.
> You'll find the right directory name if you look in /proc/asound/cards.
>
> Second, look at apq8064-tabla-snd-card.conf. Rename and copy into your
> own UCM directory. If you're making a tablet image (that can't make
> voice calls), you can remove the VoiceCall part (and the corresponding
> file).
>
> Third, look at the HiFi file. This is where all fun happens. Notice the
> device names, which are hardcoded into telepathy-ofono and need to
> match: "Speaker", "Earpiece" and "Headphone" for playback, plus
> "Handset" and "Headset" for recording.
>
> Fourth, if you need voice calls, also look at the VoiceCall file. Btw,
> the verb names "HiFi" and "VoiceCall" also need to match.) This is
> largely empty, because the mixer setup is handled by the Audio HAL, but
> there is a twist here that took a while to get right: For PulseAudio's
> UCM to work, it needs to open a PCM device. However, at the time where
> UCM tests this, the voice call is not yet set up. So, you might need to
> set up the mixer just a little, so that the PCM can open. (On desktops,
> PCM can always open, regardless of mixer state. This is not always true
> on embedded devices, that are using ASoC.) It's a bonus if you can find
> a PCM that actually plays back audio, because then you can get
> notification sounds while on the phone.
>
> And this concludes the two minute crash course - happy porting!

could we add something like this (maybe even verbatim) to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/PortingFlippedInProgress?

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--
Get involved in Ubuntu development! developer.ubuntu.com/packaging
Follow @ubuntudev on identi.ca/twitter.com/facebook.com/G+