Re: how to view ubuntu phone folders from nautilus

On Sunday 01 September 2013 19:54:32 Thomas Voß wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Sam Bull <sam.hacking@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 16:58 +0530, Sayantan Das wrote:
> >> Is it possible to view contents of ubuntu phone from Nautilus? Will
> >> there be any feature which will automount the drive when a phone
> >> running Ubuntu Touch is connected via USB cable to a PC?
> >
> > It should support mass storage device mode eventually. Doesn't sound
> > like it's a high priority right now though, so it might be some months
> > before it's done. I think there's a blueprint to track status of it
> > somewhere.
>
> We have planned for MTP, and an mpt server implementation is available here:
>
>   https://launchpad.net/mtp
>
> We have outstanding work items for exposing certain parts of the
> directory structure, though.

If possible, I'd vote for mass storage exporting at least the user's home too.
We can't expect everything to support MTP. Stuff like car radios probably won't
do that and that's where mass storage would be nice to have.

But I do understand that it might be more tricky than MTP because a file system
can't be mounted in the phone and the PC at the same time. So apps would need
to be prepared for their data disappearing at any time.

Br,
Michael