The current state of ssh on Ubuntu Touch

hi,

as a followup to sergios mail here a few notes about ssh on the readonly touch images.
since we want to be able to use ssh on the readonly image without making the whole image RW we now include it by default.

this inclusion required some changes to the packages default behavior.
normally sshd would always run automatically once you install the package on your system, this is indeed something we do not want with a preinstalled ssh package, so there is an upstart .override file in place to make sure ssh is in manual mode by default.

if you want to start it, open a terminal (or use adb) and issue:
sudo start ssh
(and equivalently "sudo stop ssh" to stop it again)

it is currently not possible to switch on ssh in a persistent way, but with the next image in the daily-proposed channel (build number >46) this should be fixed. due to the nature of the readonly image you can not just remove the .override file but instead will have to empty it to make it not take effect:

echo | sudo tee /etc/init/ssh.override

this will make sshd start automatically on boot as you are used to.
to switch it back to manual mode use:

echo "manual" | sudo tee /etc/init/ssh.override

i hope that helps to avoid confusion for people using ssh on the phones :)

ciao
	oli