Re: Minimum viable google voice integration

Hi, sorry I don't know much about ubuntu, or if this is the right place for
this discussion, but I do know a lot about Google voice, or at least how it
works on different clients, and CID masking.

As far as I know, you will never get your native # to show a different OUT
CID, even if you did, the carrier would block it unless the modified CID
out was attached to your BTN(billing telephone number) on the same billing
account.
Lets look at how Google Voice out currently works on different platforms
but it basically works one of two ways;

1)the iPhone way - your phone calls a special Google voice phone #, then
when connected, the Google voice servers call your destination number
displaying either a)your Google voice # or b)the # of the device your
calling from by using CID FWDing.; iPhone - All calls will be routed
through a Google Voice access number, displayed at the top of the screen.
The person you're calling will see your Google Voice phone number. If you
don't want your Google Voice phone number to display for the call
recipient, you change a setting to route the call through your phone first
so that phone number appears.

2)the Android way - Google calls your cell and the Google Voice App for
Android intercepts the inbound call and answers it right away.  The Google
Voice server called you and is now calling the number you want with their
servers.

Google disabled the Google Voice app on Blackberry in March 2013

But isn't Google Voice VOIP? sure, well, almost.  You can configure Google
Voice to be a SIP gateway.  This would use/make calls over Data network and
not over voice network. I only know how to make it work with pbxes.org
Then there are other apps for Android and iDevices that, from what I
understand, made a modified version of Google Talk chat client to enable
Google Voice calls over Data networks. like this one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gvoip or
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phone-for-google-voice-gtalk/id541829441?mt=8

I guess you did know If you’d like to make a call from a different phone
number but want to make your Google Voice number show up on the caller ID,
you can use own Google number to place the call.

   1. Call your own Google number.
   2. Press 2.
   3. Enter the number you want to call.
   4. Press the pound # key.

Did you know Google is changing Google Voice? If you have upgraded to
Google Hangouts, Google Voice does not work the way it did before you
joined hangouts, they are working to update Voice and Hangouts, but until
then disable hangouts.

Hope this helps. ~Jason