Re: Defining Click framework(s) for 13.10

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Michael Zanetti
<michael.zanetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 September 2013 17:27:08 Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>> Can we please have these two packages in the -dev list:
>>
>>   - qtbase5-private-dev
>>   - qtdeclarative5-private-dev
>>
>> Although these packages are "private", they hold fundamental headers
>> of Qt which enables the creation of dynamic meta objects, necessary
>> for bindings such as Go, Python, and even QML itself.
>
> I think this framework is intended to define the dependencies for click apps
> and everything related to develop them. As click apps can't be dependencies
> for other click apps it doesn't seem to make sense to include this here. Such

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I'd would benefit the case of Go
support if you could include these two mentioned packages in the stock
dependencies pulled in by the SDK, next to other -dev packages.

Go applications for the phone don't need any runtime at all, other
than the stock Qt libraries.

>> It would be brilliant if we could convince the upstream to move these
>> our of private, as it does seem to make sense, but meanwhile can we
>> have that as a dependency of the development side of the SDK?
>
> I don't think there is any chance to convince upstream to do that. Those
> private headers mostly expose implementation details of the public API with no
> promises regarding API/ABI stability or documentation whatsoever. You

You are describing what private means, and I'm suggesting they should
not be private. These two ideas are orthogonal to each other.

I'm not asking you to do anything about that, though. I've been in
touch with Qt developers.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net