Re: C++ app with QML UI

On 06.10.2013 04:44, brian larochelle wrote:
I'm working on a Feedly application (google reader replacement) for
Ubuntu touch.
It will be open source when I'm ready to announce it.

It's a C++ application that loads the QML UI, not QML that calls C++.
All the QML is compiled in with *.qrc files, so Its a single binary.

I can build it on my Nexus 4 and run it, I can see the qdebug output
fine.  I just can't see the application in unity8.

I've tried installing a *.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/ and
the binary in /usr/bin/, with gives me same result if I try running it
from the build directory with the *.desktop (with adjusted paths).

I've tried editing the /usr/share/unity8/Applications/applications.js
with no luck.

I've been trying everything I can think of, and am wondering if this
type of application isn't yet supported with unity8.

Of course it is. There's no difference between what you describe above and any app that actually has a C++ wrapper, like many of those on Ubuntu Phone already have.

First question on how to solve this - are you passing --desktop_file_hint=/path/to/desktop/file? This is currently required for unity8 to recognize an application (and match it to a .desktop file). Soon, the only way to launch an application under unity8 will be through session upstart (via application:/// to url-dispatcher¹ or upstart-app-launch²).

If that doesn't help, feel free to come to #ubuntu-unity and we'll try and help.

¹ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/URLDispatcher
² https://launchpad.net/upstart-app-launch
--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>