Re: How do I know an app is safe to install?

On 14/10/13 16:29, jeremy Tayco wrote:
> I noticed today that there is an app called "Ubuntu" showing up in the
> dash today that is a two-factor authentication enabler. It looked good
> to me as I need a two factor authenticator for a few of my online
> accounts. My issue today is that I cannot see who the developer is, if
> that developer has released any other apps, or even what permission the
> app is requesting. How do I know this app is safe? Are these features
> already present and I simply don't know how to see/access them? If they
> are not present, are they planned? I don't really feel safe installing
> applications from the Click App Store at the moment. Thanks for any help
> with this!

The app has passed all the security and packaging tests before it is
allowed to enter the Click apps store.

This means that any application that is in the apps listing is "safe".

Also because applications are completely isolated and locked down they
are by nature safer than the old deb files.  This is most of the reason
for creating the click packaging system.

The reason for the lack of information regarding the dev is this is only
release 1 for everything.  This means there is pleanty of work to do and
issues to resolve. For this release the idea was to get all the ground
works in place and then future releases will improve on what is already
there.

--
You make it, I'll break it!

I love my job :)