Re: Installing click packages without Ubuntu-one

On 14 October 2013 22:40, Roberto Alsina <roberto.alsina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 14 October 2013 22:20, Martin Albisetti <argentina@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Thank you for your valuable contribution to the conversation.
>> >

>> srsly, I want my favourite apps to converge to my flash drive, not an
>> online account.
>>
>> I do have and will continue to have in the forseeable future devices
>> that are not always online and for those apps in my ubuntu one account
>> are next to useless.
>>

> You seem to have completely misunderstood the issue and the feature being
> discussed.
>

>> I faced this "feature" on Android and it really sucks. It turns my
>> Android device to completely useless piece of junk. I hoped that I
>> could improve on that by installing Ubuntu but now I see that I have
>> to look elsewhere.
>

> I wonder how a button saying "install here the same apps I have in <this
> other device>"
> would make a device a piece of junk, though.

It will if the cost of the button is that for installing an app I have
to be online and logged in to my account with the device I am
installing to. There is no straightforward way of downloading "free"
Android applications unless you connect to Google Store with the
device you are going to install to. Even if manufacturer of the device
did not receive whatever certification is required to ship Google
Store app in their official ROM. Or your device does not have the
right connectivity features to come online when you want to install an
app.

As I understand it the Ubuntu One store is a clone of this
functionality with all the limitations included.

Oh yeah, I am sure that Ubuntu Touch devices will always have the
store app and will come with WiFi, 3G, metallic and fiber ethernet,
all sorts of microwave links and satellite links and whatever else is
ever needed to connect a device to the net and none of the hardware
and drivers will ever be even slightly deficient.

Well, I kinda don't believe that.

Regards

Michal