[Design] Selection mode

Hello,

My team and I are developing a Bible app for Ubuntu Touch [1]. What I want
is a way to select a verse and do various things to it, such as adding
notes, bookmarking it, or sharing it.

What is the best way to do this? Here are two ways I can think of doing
this:

1) Tap a verse and an ActionSelectionPopover is displayed allowing the user
to share it, bookmark it, or add notes to it.

2) Taping a verse enters a "selection mode" where other verses can be added
to the selection. The toolbar changes to display a cancel/clear selection
button and buttons for the various actions, share, bookmark, add notes,
etc. Maybe the toolbar could change colors, like in GNOME apps.

What is the recommended design pattern for this? I like the "selection
mode" concept, but I don't know how this would follow the design guidelines.

[1] https://github.com/uBible/uBible

Thank you,
--
Michael Spencer | sonrisesoftware.wordpress.com

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own
understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy
paths.
- Proverbs 3:5-6