Support for Python development

Hi all,

 I'm interested in porting a few of my MeeGo applications to Ubuntu
Touch, principle amongst these being Rockwatch, which makes it possible
to use Pebble smart watches with MeeGo (and hopefully soon also with
Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish). It'd be impractical to rewrite the
application in C++ as this would necessitate completely rewriting
libpebble which is only available as a Python module.

 Currently PyQt5 is available in the Ubuntu Touch repositories, but
since it's not installed by default and Click has no means of resolving
dependencies it can't be easily made use of for applications being
distributed to the general public. Potentially you could bundle PyQt5 as
part of a Click package, but it'd seem wasteful to do so with a
component that'd be common to almost all Python applications on the
platform.

 As such I'd like to suggest that people consider the inclusion of PyQt5
(or potentially PyOtherSide for non-GPL'd applications) in the Ubuntu
Touch base system. There's a wealth of good mobile oriented Python QT
applications in the MeeGo community which I think Ubuntu Touch could
benefit from and for which the migration to PyQt5 and QtQuick 2.0 would
be far simpler than a complete rewrite.

Thanks,
 Mike.

Follow ups