Re: Thoughts on inhibiting app suspend via application lifecycle

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:37 AM, Rick Spencer
<rick.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Rasmus Eneman <Rasmus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Having only a set of default services would be very limiting.
>> Even if a "music background service" could take streams to support
>> metronome-like apps, how about Spotify or Grooveshark?
>> They both have a lot of security built in and you can't just take a stream
>> and start playing, you have to talk with their servers,
>> make sure you download the streams in correct speed (too fast and they
>> will think your downloading their music, too slow and
>> the listener will be sad) and have a lot of stuff setup just for them to
>> trust you.
>
> Download service?
>

>> And what about smart alarm clocks that’s monitors your sleep cycle?
>
> Microphone service?
>

>> Or my banks app that shows the amount of money on my account when I shake
>> my phone?
>
> Not certain why this would ever happen in the background, but there should
> be a sensor service, right?
>
> I understand what you are saying, but I still don't think we should give up
> so easily. Constraints are good, and lead to a lot of creativity and good
> design. I think we should stay confident in our initial design and not stray
> from the path until we are very certain that it won't work.

+1. The real challenge is analyzing potential use-cases, _clearly_
identifying the underlying problems that need to be solved and
offering a solution by means of adopting/offering a service.

The benefit of sticking with a strict policy for resource-constrained
devices is predictable and great performance & battery life, no matter
what set of apps are installed and running.

Thanks,

  Thomas