Re: Accessing the user's files in a click app

On 10/25/2013 07:20 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
> On Friday 25 October 2013 08:13:20 Marc Deslauriers wrote:
>> On 13-10-25 06:43 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> Just to add some more unsupported use cases:
>>>
>>> * A Music downloader
>>
>> That's supported with the "music_files" policy group.

It is supported by this policy group, but also, an app can download music to its
own directory and provider a music content provider for the content-hub for
applications to select files from this app. Furthermore, the upcoming media
service should just automatically index these files so they are available to
media players without the media players needing direct access. In this manner,
you can have a music download app separately confined from the music player app.

>>> * An alternative Camera app that allows making funny pictures like the
>>> google hangout toolbox
>>
>> That's supported with the "picture_files" policy group.

Ditto, but with the gallery app instead of the music player.

> Oh, nice. What is the problem then why Robert's use cases don't work?
>
> I understood Jamie's explanation as this is not supported (and won't be in the
> foreseeable future).

There are policy groups for music, videos and pictures, but not arbitrary files
and folders. Keep in mind though that the policy groups for music, videos and
pictures are reserved and developers are discouraged from using them since apps
with networking could steal purchased music, videos, or reveal sensitive
information (Pictures). Apps that request these need to be manually reviewed.

Note that media players shouldn't be hindered by this because of the upcoming
media service. It can do the scanning, indexing, playing, etc without the app
having direct access to the data. Keep in mind, not everything is implemented
yet-- the media service is under development and the gallery probably needs some
work to find pictures. There is also how to handle multiple content providers
gracefully. (CC'ing Thomas for comment if needed)