Re: Accessing the user's files in a click app

On Friday 25 October 2013 09:02:09 Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 07:20 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
> > On Friday 25 October 2013 08:13:20 Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> >> On 13-10-25 06:43 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
> >> <snip>

> >> That's supported with the "music_files" policy group.
>
> It is supported by this policy group, but also, an app can download music to
> its own directory and provider a music content provider for the content-hub
> for applications to select files from this app. Furthermore, the upcoming
> media service should just automatically index these files so they are
> available to media players without the media players needing direct access.
> In this manner, you can have a music download app separately confined from
> the music player app.

That sounds great. Thanks a lot for explaining.

> >> That's supported with the "picture_files" policy group.
>
> Ditto, but with the gallery app instead of the music player.
>
> > Oh, nice. What is the problem then why Robert's use cases don't work?
> >
> > I understood Jamie's explanation as this is not supported (and won't be in
> > the foreseeable future).
>
> There are policy groups for music, videos and pictures, but not arbitrary
> files and folders. Keep in mind though that the policy groups for music,
> videos and pictures are reserved and developers are discouraged from using
> them since apps with networking could steal purchased music, videos, or
> reveal sensitive information (Pictures). Apps that request these need to be
> manually reviewed.

Wouldn't it make sense to have such a policy group for the "Documents" folder?
that would probably be just what Robert needs, no? Given that eBooks (which I
think is Robert'main use case) are quite big (in terms of distribution)
nowadays I could even imagine adding a ~/Books folder with appropriate
capabilities could make sense. What do you think?

> Note that media players shouldn't be hindered by this because of the
> upcoming media service. It can do the scanning, indexing, playing, etc
> without the app having direct access to the data. Keep in mind, not
> everything is implemented yet-- the media service is under development and
> the gallery probably needs some work to find pictures. There is also how to
> handle multiple content providers gracefully. (CC'ing Thomas for comment if
> needed)

Sure. I understand that not everything is ready yet. Thats fine.

Thanks again,
Michael