Re: My top 5 list to have an usable Ubuntu OS on the phone

On 29 October 2013 18:34, Martin Fasani <martinfasani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    1. *A fully working Keyboard
>    *I even don't care too much at predictive right now. A keyboard that
>    is fast, elegant, usable. No need to repair bugs on this one, it simply
>    does not make it like this. It's not a good design for a phone. *
>
>    *
>    2. *A screen tapping that is responsive*
>    This is the worst usability point I see on this OS. It takes sometimes
>    up to two seconds to respond to a simple tap on the screen.
>
>    3. *A clock that works right after install *
>    One that gets the right time from the start, at least if you are
>    connected to internet. Here in Germany I always get an hour less and I have
>    to set it up in system preferences. The Alarm does not work and most people
>    I know use the phone as an alarm clock.
>
>    4. *A browser that works*
>    This one is quite important too. The current one works, but is way out
>    of a normal standard usability. Is not responsive, renders inefficiently,
>    maps flicker and most of the links that are javascript based simply don't
>    work.
>
>    5. *The whole navigation concept must be rethinked
>    *I don't dislike the left menu. But the whole navigation concept is
>    just not intuitive enough. It's hard to find the new apps. It's hard to get
>    the flip to the left thing to scroll in open Apps. And they are a lot of
>    incompetencies that just collapse, like keyboard with menu, flipping the
>    phone and getting a totally static keyboard that does not work. It's like
>    if the whole thing was not tested by real humans.
>    And I know that is fucking hard to make an OS for a phone. And I
>    respect all the hard work that has been put into this one.
>    But at this point I'm not at all convinced with it. Don't make a phone
>    for Linux experts, make a phone for normal people.

+1 on everything

The only caveat I'll say is that I found the navigation confusing only for
1-2 days, mainly because I had to unlearn using other devices that I was
used to.  Now I find it much better, including the left menu, but it may
just be me.

I'm sure most of this is being worked on, but I'd also love to see a first
class feature rich browser, the default browser on android isnt great, and
it's a great way to differentiate, imho