Re: My top 5 list to have an usable Ubuntu OS on the phone

On 10/29/2013 11:45 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 29 October 2013 18:34, Martin Fasani <martinfasani@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:martinfasani@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>      1. *A fully working Keyboard
>         *I even don't care too much at predictive right now. A
>         keyboard that is fast, elegant, usable. No need to repair bugs
>         on this one, it simply does not make it like this. It's not a
>         good design for a phone. *
>
>         *
>      2. *A screen tapping that is responsive*
>         This is the worst usability point I see on this OS. It takes
>         sometimes up to two seconds to respond to a simple tap on the
>         screen.
>
>      3. *A clock that works right after install *
>         One that gets the right time from the start, at least if you
>         are connected to internet. Here in Germany I always get an
>         hour less and I have to set it up in system preferences. The
>         Alarm does not work and most people I know use the phone as an
>         alarm clock.
>
>      4. *A browser that works*
>         This one is quite important too. The current one works, but is
>         way out of a normal standard usability. Is not responsive,
>         renders inefficiently, maps flicker and most of the links that
>         are javascript based simply don't work.
>
>      5. *The whole navigation concept must be rethinked
>         *I don't dislike the left menu. But the whole navigation
>         concept is just not intuitive enough. It's hard to find the
>         new apps. It's hard to get the flip to the left thing to
>         scroll in open Apps. And they are a lot of incompetencies that
>         just collapse, like keyboard with menu, flipping the phone and
>         getting a totally static keyboard that does not work. It's
>         like if the whole thing was not tested by real humans.
>         And I know that is fucking hard to make an OS for a phone. And
>         I respect all the hard work that has been put into this one.
>         But at this point I'm not at all convinced with it. Don't make
>         a phone for Linux experts, make a phone for normal people.
>

> +1 on everything
>
> The only caveat I'll say is that I found the navigation confusing only
> for 1-2 days, mainly because I had to unlearn using other devices that
> I was used to.  Now I find it much better, including the left menu,
> but it may just be me.
>
> I'm sure most of this is being worked on, but I'd also love to see a
> first class feature rich browser, the default browser on android isnt
> great, and it's a great way to differentiate, imho
>

>     1.
>

>     I'm not at all an expert on usability and I've just used Android
>     and Ubuntu before. I use it as my main OS for 6 years now. I
>     design UX front-ends but I never studied that, I did only graphic
>     design in the Uni. My comments are only based on my experience,
>     --
>     *Martin  Fasani *
>     *www.fasani.de <http://www.fasani.de>*
>
>     --

I'm also +1 to everything on this list.

Additional Thoughts:

A complete keyboard would be wonderful. I was trying to add my wireless
PSK in the wireless setup, and there was no '$' character, for example.

Cut and paste features seem to basically not work, and would be very
helpful in many case, including the above.

Thanks,

- John

Also not sure where to review / post bugs ... maybe someone can point me
in the right direction.