Re: Should we remove cdimage-[touch,legacy]?

On 4 November 2013 13:40, François Leblanc <fleblanc50@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I apalogize I don't understand very well,
> ,
>
> by system-image do you mean the use of system.img ? If so where can we found
> this?
>

>From phablet-flash -h:
    cdimage-touch
                  Provisions the device with a CDimage build of Ubuntu Touch.
    cdimage-legacy
                  Provisions the device with legacy unflipped images.
    ubuntu-system
                  Provisions the device with an Ubuntu Image Based Upgrade
                  image.
    community     Provisions the device with a community supported build.

At the moment - "ubuntu-system" are read-only, upgradable with binary
deltas. It's default image type for official nexus targets, which is
generated on canonical infrastructure and signed by trusted keys which
are verified on each upgrade. At the moment it's not possible to
replicate, nor host community ports on that infrastructure. A
stand-alone flipped image (cdimage-touch) is produced more-or-less as
a by-product whilst generating "ubuntu-system". Depending on how
well-behaved CyanogenMod porting is, creating a new community port
will always be preferably based on "cdimage-touch", unless not
possible or buggy in which case it would be based on "cdimage-legacy".

Once everything is ported and works, and the device is official indeed
"end-users" only need ubuntu-system to flash their device for the
first time, later they can upgrade using OTA updates UI.

For bootstrapping a new device, e.g. Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2013, any
community ports. One will need to start off with cdimage-legay
(optionally) and/or cdimage-touch.

Thus removing support / fallbacks to cdimage-touch / cdimage-legacy
will effectively prevent us from starting new ports for new devices.
Unused by default, but very much needed for:
 1) day-to-day for unofficial ports
 2) for starting new official or unofficial port =))))

I hope above reasoning clears things up.

If you are using phablet-flash with nexus device as a "user" rather
than "porter to new devices", flash it once and use over the air
updates and/or system-image-update CLI to wipe device clean.
phablet-flash is only needed on nexus device for the initial first
provisioning of unlcoked device that only has android installed on it.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.