Re: Should we remove cdimage-[touch,legacy]?

On 4 November 2013 19:40, Cláudio Sampaio <patola@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Once everything is ported and works, and the device is official indeed
>> "end-users" only need ubuntu-system to flash their device for the
>> first time, later they can upgrade using OTA updates UI.
>>
>> For bootstrapping a new device, e.g. Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2013, any
>> community ports. One will need to start off with cdimage-legay
>> (optionally) and/or cdimage-touch.
>>
>> Thus removing support / fallbacks to cdimage-touch / cdimage-legacy
>> will effectively prevent us from starting new ports for new devices.
>> Unused by default, but very much needed for:
>>  1) day-to-day for unofficial ports
>>  2) for starting new official or unofficial port =))))
>>
>> I hope above reasoning clears things up.
>>
>> If you are using phablet-flash with nexus device as a "user" rather
>> than "porter to new devices", flash it once and use over the air
>> updates and/or system-image-update CLI to wipe device clean.
>> phablet-flash is only needed on nexus device for the initial first
>> provisioning of unlcoked device that only has android installed on it.
>

> The "Magic" of open-source is that I can use the device as I can see fit.
> And I want to use it as regular Ubuntu, installing and deinstalling as I see
> fit and with root access. Via ssh if needed. Do I have to abdicate from it?
> Ubuntu Touch is of no value to me if I cannot use it as a real system - to
> me it seems a locked-down system with read-only root partition is not a real
> system.
>
> Please say it is not so. The very reason I am an enthusiast of this system
> is due to the power of having a real linux system in my cellphone, just as I
> had with my (now dead) N900.

Sure you can, you will just have to update your base image with apt-get tools.
System image updates, and delta updates are only supported on
read-only configuration.
You can flip between RW and RO, but then you get to keep all broken
pieces if a delta update fails to apply.

I do not know how Ubuntu Touch compares with N900 OS architecture design.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.