[DEVELOPMENT] Howto for device with userdata < 2Go

Hello,

I'm wondering what is the best for device with userdata < 2Go

I can install system.img on 'sdcard' that is vfat

1)
If I use datapart= vfat partition, system.img is found and mount but it can
make some trouble on running since after userdata is used by ubuntu image,
I suppose that we rely on ext4 partition for userdata ?

2)
I probably can premount partition and make a link to userdata/system.img to
/sdcard/system.img
the query is where to do this premount of sdcard ?

3)
I can patch kernel  to have ext2 compress working (e2compress) but my first
attempt doing this is a fail, since my kernel is 3.0.50 and the patch is
for kernel 3.1.0 this will need lot of work to adapt it and make it very
sure...

Perhaps somebody already think about this question and a solution is
provided, if so thank you to help me. All suggestions welcome too (useable
on fly compress file system, script to automount, ...).

Regards.