Re: framework 14.04, compatibility and testing

    Hey and thanks for starting this,

On Sat, Nov 09, 2013, Sergio Schvezov wrote:
> One of the components that changed and wasn't really in this framework was
> autopilot; I believe it should be added to the list since it is what we use
> to test all apps and since it broke compatibility with 1.3 which is in
> saucy we can't test the core apps easily which are framework 13.10 on our
> stable images which are also framework 13.10.

This makes sense, but it does imply that we commit to some backwards
compatibility starting with AP 1.4.  At least 6 months would be a
minimum (ideally both ways: run your latest tests against the AP from
previous cycle and your tests from last cycle against the current AP).

> This makes releasing new versions of core apps rather cumbersome since on
> upload to the store and as themselves being framework 13.10 will target
> both saucy and trusty but the functionality would only be tested on trusty.
> So it would require manual testing anyways to verify nothing was broken.

Hmm I guess one way would be to pull in python-autopilot on top of
python3-autopilot for backwards compatibility, but that would be
encouraging apps to stay on old AP / python 2.x.  Perhaps we can
provide some kind of python3 AP kit for apps developed against 14.04 to
allow their tests to run against 13.10?  For instance, allow a PPA with
an AP backport to be added before running the tests, but only containing
non-runtime packages such as AP.

I don't think we should invest in real backports / saucy updates though;
it's much better if we focus on promoting a stable image ASAP, for
instance each month.

Loïc Minier