Re: Porting issues

(writing from my phone)

I'm not sure if this is still true, but a few weeks ago porters were
recommended to just use the old "cdimage-style" flipped model. It means to
just have the extractes rootfs files in /data/ubuntu and the Android
system.img copied in there, which happens automatically when flashing the
rootfs in ubuntu_deploy.sh. The system partition just contains android
stuff with the usual ubuntu patches.

The new "system-img-style" (it's called something like that but not exactly
that iirc) requires a special server to allow OTA updates. That server also
converts the files available at cdimage.ubuntu.com to something different.
It was supposed to be ready for testing with ports soonish, but so far I
haven't heard any news about it. That server also changes the way swap
works afaik.

I think the "supporting ports" thing is something that some of the
canonical employees consider important, so depending on who is responsible
for some feature, you may get a fast  response on IRC. (otoh, some
employees would love to drop deprecated stuff like surfaceflinger, which is
still absolutely required for some ports but slows ubuntu development
speed.  I.e. some of them dont care about ports at all, so..  Good luck. )

Cheers
Florian

Am 18.11.2013 09:56 schrieb "François Leblanc" <fleblanc50@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I agree this is not clear for me too.
>
> I notice some differences betwen using ubuntu dir and system.img in the
structure of files and even if it is more simple to use dir ubuntu it is
quite difficult to understand how system.img must be.

> According to touch script in build kernel they are some files that must
be present but I don't find any documentation  about this, system.img for
example to be put in /var/lib/lxc/android/system.img, swap file is named
SWAP.swp in touch script and SWAP.img in
trusty-touch-preinstalled-armhf.zip ...