Re: QProcess, and a QML/JavaScript only alternative?

On 11/26/2013 02:50 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
> Here is a plugin that does this.
>
> https://gitorious.org/qml-process-element/qml-process-element-qt5/
>
> However, I don't think apparmor lets you execute anything outside your
> application's path and you should Qt.openUrlExternally() instead.
How do you use

Qt.openUrlExternally()

for opening a program?  I thought that was for opening a file type (like
a web page, or whatever).
Will apparmor prevent this even on a desktop, if I package it as a deb
and make a ppa?  Or is this for the phone OS only?  Once TTS is
imlemented on the phone I can use whatever import I need and access it
through that.  As long as I can test this portion on my machine I can
change it once more backend for the phone is in place.

> On Monday 25 November 2013 18:58:45 Israel wrote:
>> Is there work going on to integrate something like QProcess into
>> QML/JavaScript.  I'd really like to run some external programs (festival
>> for one, and to make a few nice configuration programs for the
>> in-process LXQt version of Lubuntu) as I'd rather the program be
>> smaller, as both phone and Lubuntu generally want smaller programs,
>> rather than full-on C++ code (if avoidable)
> I don't think that's true.
Not sure what you mean with that?  Are you saying you don't think
QML/JavaScript is lighter?  If so I understand, C++ probably compiles to
be lighter, but my thinking is that JavaScript runs in a browser, so if
I can make my code one line, instead of including main.cpp, qprocess.cpp
qprocess.h it will be lighter (smaller?).  I suppose this is not
accurate, just seems like it would be slightly smaller.

--
Regards