Re: Landing team 10.12.13

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Didier Roche <didrocks@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As we are really close to our target of 100% of tests reliably passing and
> there is not anymore any known "can't launch app" blockers, it's time to
> look at getting all flaky tests disabled or fixed. It's completely
> reachable to get that green for Thursday I guess. If you can't fix a test
> that is flaky, the test is useless, so please disable it: it's just
> bringing noise to people trying to release an image.

This sentence scares me. Please don't disable tests that are failing
without first:

 * Doing some investigation into *why* they're failing.
 * If you're still stuck, talk to someone on the TnT team [1], we're here
to help you fix this sort of problem.
 * If, after all they you still cannot solve the problem, at least file a
bug against your project that you need to re-add that test case at some
point in the future.

I'm sure nobody is suggesting this, but to my ear this sounds awfully close
to "we're going to disable failing tests because we can't be bothered to
fix them". Again, I'm not suggesting that anyone has this attitude, but
it's important that our language (especially on a public mailing list)
reflects our intention.

Cheers,

[1] The TnT team (Tools and Trust) are: Thomi Richards (thomi), Max
Brustkern (nuclearbob), Corey Goldberg (cgoldberg) and Chris Lee (veebers).
You can find us on #ubuntu-qa on irc.freenode.net.

--
Thomi Richards
thomi.richards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx