Re: LP: #1260712 post-mortem and improving our processes

On Dec 14, 2013, at 12:41 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:

>While it is of course nice to delegate version handling to the linker, it
>also makes writing those interface libraries the difficult task.

Thanks for enumerating some of the difficult design choices involved in
writing D-Bus API wrappers.

Another option would be to version the D-Bus API, but I'm not aware of any
formal D-Bus protocols or conventions for doing this.

This blog posting seems to have some good recommendations

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/versioning-dbus.html

but I don't how many service developers are actually doing this.

Are you aware of any other best practices for versioning D-Bus APIs?

-Barry

P.S. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-system-image/+bug/1262279