Re: U1dB Documentation and Advice

Hi David,

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM, David Marceau <uticdmarceau2007@xxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I do believe you are highly mistaken.

I am a bit confused as to which statement of mine you were referring to
here. My best guess would be my statement about there being only two
storage options which are Qt LocalStorage and U1db-Qt on the ubuntu phone
which I am inclined to agree.

It is true QT For Android can be painful when leaving the comfortable
> confines of non-gui stuff because more probably than not you have to
> resort to JNI work. i.e. Multimedia/3D/OpenCL/OpenGL, databases.  That
> certainly would affirm your limited api difficulties with persistence if
> you don't want to delve into Android JNI stuff and just stick to qt api
> stuff.
>
> However you should feel more comfortable with the QT for Ubuntu
> Touch(AKA ubuntu-sdk) and the Desktop Ubuntu non-gui apis because they
> are one and the same non-qt non-gui apis. i.e.
> multimedia/3D/OpenCL/OpenGL.  Canonical have already
> re-targetted/compiled many of main desktop libs for armhf.  THAT IN
> ITSELF WILL BE THE STRONGEST SELLING POINT FOR UBUNTU TOUCH.  Ubuntu
> Touch saves the C++ developer time because the only parts you need to
> relearn are the newer Touch APIs and non-desktop mobile apis(SMS, PHONE).

I am having a hard time trying to relate how this is concerned with the
issue at hand (the purpose of this email thread) which is*U1dB-qt
documentation*.

> There is also work to bridge qt with golang and you could possibly make
> an app on ubuntu touch with golang as a result.  Or if you don't want to
> use golang for the gui you can run golang non-gui stuff as a system
> command which you pass input to it through files.  If you like perl,
> python, ruby, lua whatever you want you can do the same from ubuntu
> touch because the armhf repositories have all these are your disposal
> from what I have seen.  If you feel more comfortable doing database
> access from a different language than c++ you could if you want to.

At the moment, as far as the phone is concerned, Qt, QML and HTML5 apps are
the way to go. I don't see GTK coming into it. It could in the future but
at the moment that's not the target.

> Make no bones about it, qt as a gui-creation tool for Ubuntu
> Touch/Standard Ubuntu/Android is definitely a good choice, but it will
> never be the only one and thank the community for that. HINT: I have
> seen gtk plumbing with the armhf binaries installed in ubuntu touch and
> there also happens to be a golang-gtk binding out there also.  I still
> haven't warmed up to QML/Declarative model, but I don't have to.  There
> are ways to continue on with the pre-QML era qt controls to make ui's
> through the designer or dynamically at run-time.  You can also choose to
> mix and match QML with pre-QML c++ stuff.
>
> Cheers,
> David Marceau

And finally, I want to keep this thread focused on the issue at hand which
is *lack of documentation for u1db-qt*. I am not here to discuss about the
storage options available or what language or toolkit to use for GUI
creations. Let's not deviate off topic here please.

Cheers,
Nekhelesh