Re: Device-Specific configs in debs

On 17/01/14 09:50, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 17.01.2014, 10:44 +0100 schrieb Oliver Grawert:
>> building the android package takes around 1h and requires you to
>> download a ~250MB source package, building lxc-android-config takes 2
>> minutes and requires you to download 25KB and it allows you to use the
>> established merge proposal process via launchpad while changes to the
>> android package have to be made to the phablet.ubuntu.com git tree (not
>> sure if our gerrit instance is already up but up to now the only way to
>> get patches included was by mailing someone who can commit to the git
>> tree (or respectively the ML)...
>>
>> doing development and testing a change to a device permission locally
>> before uploading is proportionally a lot harder with the android
>> package ... i would like to keep the changes as long as possible in the
>> lxc-android-config package, even if we decide they should live inside
>> the android package at some point ...
>
> oh, and one thing i forgot, replacing the android side for testing your
> changes locally means to boot the device into the initrd (by modifying
> the kernel cmdline) and dd'ing the three img files to the respective
> partitions ...

I have the impression android is being equated with device specific.
Despite android/the kernel doing much of the device-specifics for us,
surely that's not 100% true today, and the % will decrease over time.

So should we break quickly the idea that the device specific
partition/image/tarball is entirely derived from an android build tree?

Or do we already not assume that, and I've missed something?