Re: Question about off-topic comments in core-apps code

Hi Michael, Michel,

Firstly, thank's Michel for raising this issue. I fully appreciate the
issue and you did the right thing raising it on this list.

Michael, thanks for the prompt response explaining the reason the
boilerplate is there.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Michael Spencer
<sonrisesoftware@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In that context, the comment makes perfect sense. BibleTime, a Gtk Bible
> program, has a similar comment in its header.

Indeed, and taken out of context I can see how it may alarm or offend people.

> Secondly, that comment is not advertising or such - it is part of the
> header, just like the license is, and is there as a reminder for myself and
> other Bible-believing developers to use our talents for God's glory.

While I respect your belief, I'd rather in *this* instance we don't
add these kinds of quotes to our (non-religious) applications as it's
somewhat out of place in code.

> Thirdly, I checked with Alan Pope and he said to leave the original license
> in since it was taken from a library, though I do not think he read the
> actual license header.

My guidance was general, and yes, in this instance I didn't read the
boilerplate before giving that guidance, my bad.

> Once again, I'm very sorry if that comment offended you in any way and I can
> remove that if Canonical wants.

While I personally am not offended, and I don't believe it's worth
getting particularly worked up about a few lines quoted from religious
text, I'd rather we didn't include it as a matter of course.

So yes, if you wouldn't mind Michael, please remove it.

Thanks again guys.

Alan Pope
Engineering Manager

Canonical - Product Strategy