Re: Switching Click framework to 14.04 Dev

On 22/02/14 02:05, Michael Hall wrote:
> We would like to be able to start using the ubuntu-sdk-14.04-dev
> framework version for the Ubuntu App Showdown which is going to
> start next week.  Can everybody with a work item respond to this
> email with an update on their progress so we know where we stand?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Hall mhall119@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> On 02/12/2014 05:17 PM, Michael Hall wrote:
>> During last week's sprint, after going over all of the pro's and
>> con's of naming conventions, it was decided that the next Click
>> framework version would be called "ubuntu-sdk-14.04".
>>
>> We want to start having app developers target the latest set of
>> APIs, but since they are still in development and subject to
>> change, we also decided to use a interim framework version
>> called "ubuntu-sdk-14.04-dev".  This framework version would
>> match the APIs as they are right now, but because they are not
>> the final version of the 14.04 APIs we won't make any guarantee
>> that this specific framework version will be supported.  If we
>> get to the release of 14.04, and we haven't made any API changes
>> that would break backwards compatibility with the 14.04-dev APIs,
>> we can continue to support it, otherwise we will drop support for
>> that framework and app developers will need to update their apps
>> accordingly.
>> 2) [beuno] The Click store needs to accept Click package uploads
>> using both the "ubuntu-sdk-13.10" and "ubuntu-sdk-14.04-dev"
>> frameworks. It also needs to accept queries (coming from the
>> Click scope) containing one of both framework versions. Work will
>> need to be coordinated with the Click scope developers on the
>> format for passing more than one framework version.

For the Click Package Index, I've just proposed a branch to add
support for handling requests from clients that specify multiple
supported frameworks.  Given a query of the form:

  ?q=framework:ubuntu-sdk-13.10,framework:ubuntu-sdk-14.04-dev

the results will be filtered to those packages that specify a
dependency on zero or more of the specified frameworks *and nothing
else*.  This format is a little unwieldy, and I have some thoughts on
improving that which I'll outline in a separate e-mail.

Cheers,

JT
- --
James Tait, BSc. | https://launchpad.net/~jamestait/
Software Engineer, Canonical Online Services, Web and Ops Team
Ubuntu - Linux for human beings | www.ubuntu.com