Sharing dynamic informations between the user session and the greeter

Hey everyone,

That's a topic that has been discussed between different groups of people recently, on merge requests [1] and bug reports, and it feels like we should have the discussion on a common place/together, to decide what is best, and all do the same thing.

Summary of the issue:
- in unity8 we use the greeter as a lock screen
- we want to have informations from the users available on the lock screen ("currently playing song" for example)
- we need a way to get those informations from the session to the greeter

We are currently using accountsservice to store "static" informations (e.g the background image for the user), that's needed because the user might not be logged/the directory not available to get the information otherwise. The case we are speaking about there is different and concerns "dynamic" informations (e.g the song currently playing in the user sessions)

We have some solutions which have been suggested:

1. using accountsservice there as well, maybe adding support for "volatile" informations which wouldn't get store.

That's the first suggestion made and some people started work using that approach. It feels suboptimal though, since it involves making 2 running processes talk by using a third process as proxy (which was not designed for that usecase).

We discussed it a bit on #ubuntu-desktop and came with those possible solutions as well

2. get lightdm to connect to the user-session bus and send back selected informations to the greeter.

That seems like the most flexible/powerful solution, giving access to the user session might be a concern for security though.

3. having a subdirectory in the user's XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, which is visible to the greter via a privileged protocol in lightdm (lightdm opening files and sending content, or using fds are possible options)

that should do the job, be easy enough and not risk exposing too much from the user session

Robert, what do you think of 2 and 3 from a lightdm perspective? Would you be happy to add support for one of those?

Everyone, I've you have comments or extra ideas, feedback is welcome ;-)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~ted/indicator-sound/account-service-support/+merge/205891

Follow ups