Re: Ubuntu Download Manager broken since #213

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The question is whether the end result is "the click is installed" or "the
> user is told that it's downloaded, and then can choose to install it." And
> that is a design question, where I haven't seen the design.

The end result with the current scope and download manager is already
"the click is installed".
The button that the user clicks for this to happen is currently
labeled "Install"
According to the latest designs I've seen it will be renamed to be a
price eg: "GBP 0.99" (in the case of paid apps), or "Free" (for the
rest).

> Clearly in the
> case of "mp3 downloaded" playing the MP3 is probably not the desired result,
> I wouldn't want the people at the sprint knowing I was eagerly downloading
> the new Katy Perry, they might make fun of me ;-)

I've not seen designs for this, but I agree that it makes sense not to
autoplay in this case. Unless the button is named "Play", in which
case I think streaming should happen, and download manager should not
be used.

> For the case of knowing that something has finished downloading and starting
> an app to do it that'll be handled by the transfers indicator. So that case
> is already handled. The question for me is if the click download/install
> case is special here. Which really needs to go back to the design question.
> Is there a design available for that workflow?

>From the new designs I've seen, it's indeed special. I'm sending them
to you off-list.

cheers
--