Re: Avoiding spying via the microphone and camera [Was: Sharing dynamic informations between the user session and the greeter]

Thomas Voß wrote on 12/03/14 10:21:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas

>> Thomas Voß wrote on 10/03/14 12:36:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas

>>> I disagree here. We have spent a significant amount of time on
>>> our lifecycle story and on establishing, implementing and
>>> supporting a strict lifecycle policy on the phone. With that,
>>> I'm surprised by such a statement. I would have expected that
>>> our designs by now are aligned with such a fundamental platform
>>> decision.
>>
>> Sorry, I'm not sure which part you disagree with.
>
> I disagree with the part where we postpone creation of designs for
> handling background access to system services/device features and
> block on the lifecycle policy implementation.

I did not say that at all, and I disagree with it too. How could we
possibly have a "design for returning to phone calls before it's
fixed" if the design was postponed until after it's fixed? :-)

> I think we all agree that a user should be presented with a visual
> cue no matter if an app or a system-level component accesses
> certain features of the device or the system. With that, I don't
> get your point about minimizing churn for the user.

The designers working on phone calls have been designing the
presentation of background calls as a specific task independent of any
other apps.

When other background apps gain the ability to continue listening, by
whatever method, that will need a design too. Hence this thread.

My point is simply that it would be better for those two designs to be
one and the same.

- --
mpt