Re: [PROPOSAL] No (click) apps on images by default

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Alex Chiang <achiang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not against this plan, but I do have a question.
>
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Sergio Schvezov
> <sergio.schvezov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> - the new common rootfs should have no click apps per default
>> - the rootfs we know today would be a special case of customization
>
> Can you expand on this? Does this mean we would deliver the default
> click apps using the custom tarball mechanism?
>
> If so, do we need to test the possibility of having multiple
> simultaneous custom tarballs?
>
> If not, how will this be delivered?
>
>> - this opens the possibility of having a better set for phone and
>> tablet (different customizations, preinstalled apps that is).
>
> What is the problem "no preinstalled apps" solving other than
> "different core apps on tablet vs phone"?

Cleaner overlays; unless we say com.ubuntu.gallery and
com.ubuntu.camera are mandatory; it should be easy for a vendor to
provide com.vendor.gallery and com.vendor.camera instead.

I can be a stone age manager and want to build a customization for my
enterprise with no games on it by default is another thing I can think
of :-)

So instead of 'uninstalling/unregistering' them from the default
image; it would just not be installed.

cjwatson mention that this is really not necessary; but I still wanted
to explore the alternative.