Re: [PROPOSAL] No (click) apps on images by default

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Sergio Schvezov
<sergio.schvezov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Alex Chiang <achiang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I am not against this plan, but I do have a question.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Sergio Schvezov
>> <sergio.schvezov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> - the new common rootfs should have no click apps per default
>>> - the rootfs we know today would be a special case of customization
>>
>> Can you expand on this? Does this mean we would deliver the default
>> click apps using the custom tarball mechanism?
>>
>> If so, do we need to test the possibility of having multiple
>> simultaneous custom tarballs?
>>
>> If not, how will this be delivered?
>>
>>> - this opens the possibility of having a better set for phone and
>>> tablet (different customizations, preinstalled apps that is).
>>
>> What is the problem "no preinstalled apps" solving other than
>> "different core apps on tablet vs phone"?
>
> Cleaner overlays; unless we say com.ubuntu.gallery and
> com.ubuntu.camera are mandatory; it should be easy for a vendor to
> provide com.vendor.gallery and com.vendor.camera instead.
>
> I can be a stone age manager and want to build a customization for my
> enterprise with no games on it by default is another thing I can think
> of :-)

Not wanting a terminal by default is what started this conversation :-)

We could only install by default what we think that should be
mandatory, and provide the rest as part of a default custom tarball.
That way we can provide a default custom ubuntu tarball, that would
then have the terminal-app installed by default.

> So instead of 'uninstalling/unregistering' them from the default
> image; it would just not be installed.
>
> cjwatson mention that this is really not necessary; but I still wanted
> to explore the alternative.

But are they removed completely from the disk if you unregister them?
We'd still have some additional logic during first boot that is not
necessarily useful for all the cases.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo