Re: [PROPOSAL] No (click) apps on images by default

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 12.03.2014, 23:05 +0000 schrieb Colin Watson:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 06:30:04PM -0300, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Sergio Schvezov
> > <sergio.schvezov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > So instead of 'uninstalling/unregistering' them from the default
> > > image; it would just not be installed.
> > >
> > > cjwatson mention that this is really not necessary; but I still wanted
> > > to explore the alternative.
> >
> > But are they removed completely from the disk if you unregister them?
> > We'd still have some additional logic during first boot that is not
> > necessarily useful for all the cases.
>
> That's not really how it works.  While maybe we don't want to ship
> exactly the set of core apps we ship today, I think removing all apps is
> entirely unnecessary, not to mention somewhat unhelpful for me in that
> it makes it more troublesome to test preinstalled cases as part of our
> normal CI processes, and it makes our stock images less useful.  I'll
> try to explain how it actually works and then hopefully this will make
> more sense to people.

how about having "Tailor" [1] read the list of preinstalled click apps
[2] and offer a generated list with checkboxes to turn them on/off and
then make the customization tarball ship a script and the list of to
disable click apps ...

ciao
	oli

[1] http://www.chizang.net/alex/blog/2014/03/12/previewing-ubuntu-savvy/