Re: Landing team 14.03.14

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo
<ricardo.salveti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> components
>> - drop of python 3.3
>>
>> The dogfooding on it was +1 (Alan couldn't reproduce Selene's issue
>> mentioned yesterday) and Dave didn't find any new issues as well.
>>

>> Then, we started an epic transition to Qt 5.2: 122 packages were rebuilt in
>> the archive, some last minute code and crash fixes entered as well as some
>> tests fixes. Some tweaks to get everything migrated in the release pocket
>> was done (as some components are not building - temporary as we'll get more
>> fixes next week - anymore on some architectures). This is the biggest
>> landing for CI Train we ever had (and it removed a lot of locks ;)), and we
>> had to work on multiple unseen last minute issues of course at every level.
>> I want to thanks everyone involved in helping in one way or another into
>> that tremendous work spanning over multiple hours of continuous effort!
>>
>> Once Qt 5.2 was promoted, we still had more work to proceed):
>>
>> 0. messaging-app (in progress)
>> To avoid getting AP tests failures on the new image, some fixes are in
>> messaging-app trunk and this is getting tested and released in the archive
>> as we speak.
>>
>> 1. Framework update: fundations (done)
>> However, this was not the end of the story: we had to bump (after some
>> random poking around first and with a real fix then) the ubuntu framework as
>> the Qt 5.2 ABI breakage is not backward compatible. Some click apps in the
>> store needs to be rebuilt.
>>
>> 2. Framework update: click store (in progress)
>> To get the click apps rebuilt but still available with the previous
>> framework, the store has to be able to accept new frameworks. This is
>> getting implemented as we speak.
>>
>> 3. Core apps updates (depends on 2.)
>> New click packages for applications that are not going to work without a
>> rebuild or test fixes on the default will be uploaded to the click store.
>> Those are:
>> * camera-app
>> * gallery-app
>> * notes-app (with some fixes merged to trunk for AP tests)
>> * music-app
>> * ubuntu-terminal-app.
>>
>> They will all be bumped to be dependent on the new framework
>> (ubuntu-sdk-14.04-dev1, policy: 1.1). Note that applications that don't need
>> a rebuild (basically pure-QML applications and html5 applications) don't
>> need to update their manifest as the phone declares as well the previous
>> framework.
>>
>> 4. New image with Qt 5.2 (depends on all above for image #238)
>> A new image will be kicked with all that shiny new code and fixes! Some
>> dogfooding will occur by the usual suspects to assess the state of that
>> image.
>
> We're just missing a newer gallery-app, as a rebuild didn't fix it (it
> seems something changed in libclick that broke it somehow, as it can't
> find the app path properly, waiting for sergio for more news on that).

The bug was in the gallery app itself; a review is open; with luck,
should land an hour or so after approved.
Given how it was fixed; I don't understand how it worked before though...

> So to avoid asking people to dist-upgrade when doing further
> debugging, we just decided to spin a new image, so we can easily debug
> the remaining issues right on monday morning.

This actually made debugging easier, so thanks.

> In theory only gallery-app should be broken, and would also give
> enough time for people to rebuild the apps against the 14.04
> framework.

===

One last closing comment; the click updater "app" doesn't seem to
filter per framework as I get them as updates for my devel install
which doesn't have the new framework; luckily they fail to install as
the framework required doesn't match the provided one :-)