Re: Landing team 14.03.14

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Martin Albisetti <argentina@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 2:06 AM, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo
> <ricardo.salveti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It seems this happened because it tried to upgrade the apps but failed
>> as the framework was invalid (previous images didn't have the 14.04
>> framework).
>>
>> I wonder if this is also happening with the latest stable image (from
>> the stable channel). If so, is there any way to fix this without
>> spinning a new image?
>
> So we forgot to pass in and filter frameworks in the apps update call.
> I think we'll need to both tweak the client to send the supported
> frameworks in that call, and for the server to filter (already in
> progress).
> That probably means spinning a new image, and for all the images out
> there in the wild, they'll need to update. This is not ideal at all,
> sorry about that.
> If we had shipped devices, we'd work around this on the server to
> assume that if you didn't pass in a framework you are on 13.10, for
> backwards compatibility. But given where we are, I'd rather not invest
> work there right now and instead move forward. If someone feels
> strongly otherwise, please let me know.

My comment on this was probably lost in the weekend; but at the stage
we are in, we phased this out incorrectly since to fix the click
update manager we need to create new images for ubuntu-touch/saucy,
and ubuntu-touch/trusty which are of course independent from
ubuntu-touch/trusty-proposed. Seems like too much work for
ubuntu-touch/trusty as the goal is to promote an image soon anyways.

I'm not sure how far updating apps from the system settings is either;
it might not be worth updating the click update manager for
ubuntu-touch/trusty-proposed either.