Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

Hello

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 25.03.2014, 12:29 -0600 schrieb Leo Arias:
> > There's some info about the rationale of this change here:
> > http://design.canonical.com/2014/03/new-apps-header/
> >
> > "There's only one place where you can place the back, and that's the
> > top left slot. According to our interface values, that's a place where
> > user has to intentionally stretch the finger and make an effort to
> > trigger."
> >
> oh thanks so much, finally some constructive answer with some info ...
>
> Though I sadly have to disagree, when I try to reach that button there
> are still about 2cm missing for me no matter how much I stretch ... if I
> then slide the bottom right corner of the phone slightly down in my palm
> to actually reach it, the only stabilization that kept the phone from
> dropping is actually gone and it slides off my palm ... try it, I had
> that happen to me a few times today (with the phone twice dropping on
> the floor, which is no fun with the glassy N4)

It is well known that any device having display bigger than 4" requires two
hands to operate, to reach the top-edges properly. If the back button is in
the bottom somewhere, in a place easily reachable with one hand, there will
always be something on the top you can reach only by using two hands. Of
course it all depends what is that action you need to reach and how more
often you need to do that than the back action.