Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 26.03.2014, 08:34 -0400 schrieb Stephen M. Webb:
> On 03/26/2014 06:58 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi, Am Mittwoch, den 26.03.2014, 02:57 -0700 schrieb Nathan Haines:
> >>
> >> Which I'd assumed.  A bit of a shame as far as interface conventions go, but on the other hand I can count with
> >> no hands the number of times I've ever needed to use it.  :)
> >>
> > hmm, same here, I used it once to try out what happens though :) Might be interesting to head if there was any user
> > testing done if it is used much at all ... one could possibly replace it with a back button if it is actually used
> > rarely ;)
>
> How else do you find a launch applications?  I already find it hard, what with having to open the Launcher, hit the
> Unity button and get a random screen, repeat until eventually I get the Home screen, then swipe left to get the
> application screen and swipe up past the running apps (although sometimes that gesture switches back to the Home
> screen) to find the installed apps, then choose one to launch.  Once it's running I can lock it to the launcher
> (assuming I hold the phone right and use a finger, not my thumb).
>
> Perhaps there's another way, but I just haven't discovered it yet.  I've only had the phone for a few weeks.  Other
> phones and tablets I have used have a button I can press to get back to a home screen.  I think it would be a bad
> design to never be able to get to a safe known location from anywhere.

well, it effectively just duplicates the "swipe all the way to the
right" gesture to get back to the shell ... i find myself using that
gesture and then navigating over to the apps scope regulary while I
literally only tried the home button once since I use the phone (well,
twice now since I wanted to know where you end up with the new scopes),
I'm wondering if it is like that for more people or if the Unity button
is actively used by many...

ciao
	oli