Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

On Wednesday 26 March 2014 09:33:39 Stephen M. Webb wrote:
> On 03/26/2014 09:12 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > well, it effectively just duplicates the "swipe all the way to the right"
> > gesture to get back to the shell ... i find myself using that gesture and
> > then navigating over to the apps scope regulary while I literally only
> > tried the home button once since I use the phone (well, twice now since I
> > wanted to know where you end up with the new scopes), I'm wondering if it
> > is like that for more people or if the Unity button is actively used by
> > many...
> Hmm, I was unaware the particular velocity and distance of a swipe changed
> its meaning.  It seems this "long swipe" works to go Home when an app is
> running, but not from the greeter screen which is what I start from after
> waking up the phone when I need to use it, so I never discovered this
> subtlety.

This will be changed soon so you can also unlock the phone with a long left
edge swipe. Stay tuned.

> Is this "swipe all the way to the right" intended to be the way to reveal a
> list of installed applications to launch on the converged desktop, the one
> running on a large high-DPI monitor with only a trackpad for input, or will
> the converged Ubuntu simply change to a desktop-oriented UI the Microsoft's
> celebrated Windows 8 so successfully does?

I don't think this gesture will be used on anything else than touch screens,
but instead the home button will work just like it does currently on the
Desktop (elevating the scopes above the application window). I didn't have any
particular talks with design about this, so bear with me if my intuition is
wrong.

Br,
Michael