Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 26.03.2014, 11:09 -0400 schrieb Stephen M. Webb:
> On 03/26/2014 09:49 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:>>
> >> Is this "swipe all the way to the right" intended to be the way to reveal a
> >> list of installed applications to launch on the converged desktop, the one
> >> running on a large high-DPI monitor with only a trackpad for input, or will
> >> the converged Ubuntu simply change to a desktop-oriented UI the Microsoft's
> >> celebrated Windows 8 so successfully does?
> >
> > I don't think this gesture will be used on anything else than touch screens,
> > but instead the home button will work just like it does currently on the
> > Desktop (elevating the scopes above the application window). I didn't have any
> > particular talks with design about this, so bear with me if my intuition is
> > wrong.
>
> So you're not proposing to replace the Home button with the Back button so much as move the Home button to the top of
> the Launcher and add a Back button at the bottom?  It's a good idea: a lot of very vocal desktop users will be pleased
> by not having to change their habits when the time comes.

no, that was me ... the home button on the phone is a duplication of a
gesture which makes it kind of redundant, but such a step should indeed
only happen if we clearly know that it isn't harmful to replace it
indeed there is the brand recognition bit the Unity button brings ...

> Also, most of my laptops have touchscreens, and it is my experience you tend to use gestures when they're available
> because it just makes more sense (try using a non-touch system after a while a see how frustrating it is to have buttons
> drawn on the screen that do nothing but leave smudges when you press them).  Don't assume users of a converged Ubuntu on
> the desktop will still be living in the 20th century.

but not all desktops are laptops :) the mouse/touchpad should still be
the default focus for desktop UI, with gesture/touch support as an
add-on

ciao
	oli