Re: [Design] New back button placement, are we serious ?!?

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 26.03.2014, 21:54 +0200 schrieb Zsombor Egri:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Alberto Mardegan
> <alberto.mardegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On 03/26/2014 08:15 PM, Jouni Helminen wrote:
>         > speaking of Android, their back button is pretty much in the
>         exact same
>         > place - top left. Same with iOS
>         >
>         > Agreed there could be a "back" gesture, but what would it
>         be? one finger
>         > horizontal swipes are usually reserved for something else

>         My suggestion would be to use a one finger horizontal swipe
>         from the
>         right edge towards left, on the lower part of the screen. The
>         whole
>         right edge is currently used to switch between applications;
>         we could
>         use the lower third of the screen for the back gesture (and
>         indeed we
>         should leave the back button on the top left, since the
>         gesture won't be
>         easily discoverable).

> I second to this idea. But the gesture does not need to start at the
> right edge. Detecting the swipe in the lower third from somewhere
> around the middle of the area (from a safe distance from the edge not
> disturbing the right edge gesture) would be easier with one hand
> especially if you are right handed, as you don't need to move your
> finger to the right edge.

> Yeps, it's not gonna be easily discoverable, but it could be listed in
> the intro, right ;)

I like the "lower third" idea, I don't like the "could start in the
middle" ...
I think system gestures should be/stay restricted to the edges, every
gesture that you let use the screen is one we steal away from app devs.
The (top/left/right) edges are already kind of taken by the system,
making one of them more fine grained sounds better than stealing extra
screen space from the apps.

ciao
	oli