Re: Default Locale for images

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Steve Langasek
<steve.langasek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 06:37:09PM -0400, Nicholas Skaggs wrote:
>> Popey noted that doing "sudo -u phablet -i" to gain phablet user
>> after shelling gets me a posix locale, while doing an "su phablet"
>> as I did nets me utf-8. More adb shell weirdness I guess.
>
>> Regardless, I think we want utf-8 across the board, and since we use
>> adb with test running, this might cause us issues (indeed it appears
>> to be an issue now for some).
>
> I think this ought to be fixed up in ubuntu-touch-session, which already
> does a lot of environment handling for adb via /etc/profile.d.

We sort of discussed this with Dimitri a while back; the idea was to
use su for everything as what you'd give us a proper session.

In summary were going to add a --user switch to the shell command to
su in or execute the target command. Ideally we'd default to a user
(i.e. but not necessarily phablet) but that would break too many tools
we don't know about.

The task just fell under the cracks, but it should solve most issues people see.