Landing process, restoring "trunk" for development

Hi all!
  At the USD there was a session about the landing process, and some
people brought up the point that having the "trunk" branch synchronized
with the archive was inconvenient for developers:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igj-JyUNGPU#t=36m13s

In the last 5 minutes of the session, a solution was proposed: leaving
"trunk" for development purpose (like it was before the CI train
started) and push the landed commits into other branches, such as
"trusty". However no decision was taken, other than continuing the
discussion on the mailing list. I've been eagerly waiting for it, but
since almost a month has passed and I haven't seen this discussion being
brought up, here it is. :-)

I think this would be a very good time to implement this proposal, since
trusty is going to be released soon, and as soon as the Upstarting
Unicorn (this would be a wonderful name, admit it) gets open for
development, it would not be very clear what "trunk" is synched to.

So, what's the deal? :-)

Ciao,
  Alberto

Follow ups